DEADLINE: SEPTEMBER 16, 2019
Twelve Literary Arts seeks three artists who will be provided apartments at the newly-renovated Madison Building in Cleveland's historic Glenville neighborhood. The apartments are offered at a reduced rental rate of $700 per month.
The Glenville Artist-in-Residence program is for emerging and mid-career artists working in various media arts disciplines, including drawing, film, installation, literature, music, new media, painting, performance, photography, sculpture, and video.
Artists interested in applying for the residency must provide the following:
- Artist Resume or CV
- Bio and Description of proposed arts project
- Work Sample
- Two current professional work references (a reference from a current employer is preferred, but not essential.
Twelve Literary Arts, an organization that has developed what it calls “an ecosystem for literary artists of color in Northeast Ohio and beyond”. In so doing, TLA seeks to ensure that the artists residing in the apartments of the Robert P. Madison Building at GAC will contribute to the GAC ecosystem as artists-in-residence; making it a true “arts campus” in every sense of the term.
Residents selected for the program will explore ways in which their work can impact campus, community, and city alike. In selecting the resident, preference is given to artistic practices that:
- Examine themes relevant to the Glenville community
- Encourage open, ongoing, and active community participation in culture-based collective transformation and change
- Engage issues of race and ethnicity, including, but not limited to, questions of discrimination, anti-racism, and institutional manifestations
- Privilege teaching methodologies as an integral part of the creative process
- Deepen understandings of race, class, gender, and sexualities, as well as their interconnections and implications